Solidarity for the disappeared
August 30. Every morning while having my coffee, it has been part of my routine to browse on all my online accounts before I start to prepare to work.
A campaign in facebook asking friends to take down profile pics in commemoration of the International Day of the Disappeared caught my attention. The message was:
In remembrance of the disappeared in the Philippines and around the world, whose lives, rights and freedoms were taken, please take down your profile picture on August 30, International Day of the Disappeared.
STOP ENFORCED DISAPPEARANCES NOW! JUSTICE FOR ALL VICTIMS OF ENFORCED DISAPPEARANCES!
It was indeed a very creative way of expressing solidarity online. But just like other campaigns in facebook whoever started this remains unknown. But one thing is sure. Whoever it was, he/she did a good job.
Our organization as one of the members of the Coalition Against Enforced Disappearance or CAED held an event tagged as “I have RAGED!” or Run Against Enforced Disappearance not only to commemorate the International Day of the Disappeared (IDD) but also to call for the enactment of a law that would criminalize this HRV and for the Philippine government to ratify the international convention.
The run was attended by families of victims and HR advocates.
For decades, HR advocates and families have been pushing for the enactment of the law. We hope that all these efforts will reach P-Noy and the leaders of our government.
After the run, I went home and went online to remove my profile pic.
August 31. This morning, I woke up with my muscles aching. Although the run was not really a long run but it was able to make me feel sick maybe because I’m not used to distance running. It made me realized that I need to have even simple exercises from now on or try to stop smoking and start thinking of my health. I decided to skip work today and take a break.
Ano pa kaya ang walang kapagurang paghahanap ng mga naiwang kamag-anak ng mga mahal sa buhay nilang mga sapilitang winala? mas masakit pa sa muscle pain ang kanilang dinadanas. Pwede rin silang lumiban at magpahinga pero hindi dito natatapos ang paghahanap.
- International Day of Missing Persons: Amina Masood: The UN (susanmariepr.blogspot.com)
- How a human being can “disappear” (edmortimer.wordpress.com)
- [Isyung HR] Ligo na you, wangwang na me. (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] Facebook profile pics go ‘desap’ for Int’l Day of the Disappeared- InterAksyon.com (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- UN and human rights groups commemorate International Day of the Disappeared on August 30 (theaterofoneworld.org)
- [Statement] They are not alone – United Nations Working Group on Enforced or involuntary Disappearances (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Photo Blog] We have RAGED! (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Statement] Statement of the Coalition Against Enforced Disappearance on the Int’l Day of the Disappeared (hronlineph.wordpress.com)